Saturday, October 31, 2009

Ashley in Oval Mirror


It's Halloween and while I wouldn't call this painting scary, I like to think it is a little haunting. In the mirror Ashley seems to be casting a sidelong glance, quite different from what one would expect from her profile view. The corner of the old trunk in the lower left is a repoussoir device that leads the viewer deeper into the space of the picture. Ashley is another model that I would like to work more with but she has moved away.
SOLD
oil on gesso panel, 6 x 6 inches, 2009
#12

4 comments:

  1. Hello Charles, thank you for visiting my blog. I am in Redford so were not that far from each other.
    You have a splendid body of work. You also have a great sense of light and that is for me the most admirable quality an artist can posess.
    All the best to you.
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this painting! The angle that both arms form coming off the oval mirror, and the colors: sage, burnt orange and faded blue jean, keep the eye moving from her soft smiling profile to her resigned expression in the mirror. Superb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is outstanding. This piece especially has a quality of ''Magic realism''. Will be keeping a close at your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful the way you captured the light coming in the window. Makes me think she's up in the attic going through all the old family treasures.

    ReplyDelete