Sunday, October 25, 2009

Clare with Arrow


I've worked with Clare a lot over the last couple of years. She has modeled for a number of my larger compositions. She has a remarkable ability to understand and imaginatively interpret my intentions for a given pose, even when I don't fully understand them myself. Perhaps it's because of her stage experience. Clare somehow brings a unique body language and facial expression to each idea I present her with. Here she forcefully thrusts her arm out perpendicular to her body, while keeping the clutched arrow parallel to it. Her gesture captures perfectly the aggressive theme of the painting. I felt that the treatment of the background also fit the theme. The arrow predates recorded history and is rich with meaning in many cultures.
SOLD
oil on linen panel, 8 x 6 inches, 2009
#9

3 comments: