Saturday, October 17, 2009

Bayley's Mood




Bayley's face is always expressive. Here she takes on an irresistible melancholy. I'm reminded of Raphael's Cherubini, overexposed as they are. But this pose was inspired by another source, the origins of which I don't recall. I often see an interesting image in a magazine or some other source, make a quick sketch or mental note, then develop it back in the studio with further sketches. When I have a model come, we cycle through a lot of these ideas. Then I do the same thing with different models until I find something that I want to paint.
SOLD
oil on gesso panel, 7x5 inches, 2009
#4

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting to learn that you might originally derive some of your ideas from magazines, etc. I've always thought your paintings were oddly familiar, but I could never pinpoint why. Everyday we encounter images that catch our eye for some reason or another (like in a magazine) and I think these paintings convey the same sentiment. Simple and appealing.

    ReplyDelete